We have chickens, and although they are nearing the end of their laying careers, we still get more eggs than Alicia and I can eat (In recent weeks I’ve been having smoothies instead of eggs for breakfast).
So we have an ample supply of eggs and today I embarked on boiling a dozen.
When hard boiling fresh eggs, the challenge comes in the peeling. Older, grocery store eggs peel easier. Fresh eggs sometimes have a firm grip on the shell, and, when peeling, much chipping and deformity can ensue.
I’ve found ways to mitigate this problem. One way is to use a certain pot. I don’t know why, but this one particular pot in our cabinet delivers eggs that are easier to peel. Another way is to take them fresh from the boiling water into a bowl of ice water, and then peeling. The temperature change seems to shock them out of their shell.
But it’s still a challenge and some eggs don’t retain their smoothness and are sometimes so pockmarked that they become a treat for the dog.
And now I’ve found the most perfect way ever! Here it is:
1. Put one dozen eggs in a pot. Fill with water. Ignite stovetop and adjust to its highest flame.
2. Get a phone call. While on the phone, move to my office (a separate entrance from the house).
3. Talk for awhile. Get off the phone. Take notes from the call. Send the caller an email.
4. Make another phone call.
5. Check email.
6. Go the bathroom. Because the iPad is upstairs, go up there to use the bathroom. Sit on the toilet and rewatch a few minutes of 30 Rock.
7. Go downstairs. Watch a few more minutes of 30 Rock.
8. Hear loud pop come from the kitchen and imagine that something must have fallen or the house is settling and continue to watch this hilarious episode of 30 Rock.
9. Hear another pop.
10. Continue watching 30 Rock.
11. Hear another loud pop.
12. Get my ass up and go in the kitchen to see what’s causing all these pops.
13. Notice the burner on the stove flaming away underneath a pot of dry eggs.
13. Remove the pot from the stove and fill with cold water.
14. Peel the eggs, cooked to perfection, with ease.